Does My Car Insurance Cover Me In Canada?

The Coho in Victoria's Inner Harbour
The Coho in Victoria's Inner Harbour

Stay-cations are very popular right now because of the down economy. I’m sure if you had the choice of staying home or taking a trip abroad I’m guessing you would choose the latter. However, living in Port Angeles, a trip abroad is just across the Strait. A long weekend in Victoria can be just what you need – getting out of dodge without breaking the bank.

The Coho Ferry – Gateway to Canada

Getting to Victoria from Port Angeles is very easy. You can either walk on or drive your car on the Coho Ferry.  The Coho is a vehicle and passenger ferry that goes from downtown Port Angeles to Victoria. The ride is about 90 minutes each way and you can check out the Coho fares and schedules here.

You should check out the Coho’s twitter feed @mvcoho, they often tweet about good deals and local things to do both in Canada and on the Olympic Peninsula. And of course, don’t forget to follow the Elwood Benefits feed @elwoodbenefits for great insurance information.

Does my auto insurance cover me in Canada?

Vancouver, B.C. is beautiful with lots of places to explore so you may want to take your own car, but does your car insurance cover you?  Being an Allstate agent, I can tell my customers that yes, it does. Coverage generally extends since Canada is a covered territory of your policy.

If you are not an Allstate customer, check the Declaration page of your policy. If you're not clear where that is and would like some help, give us a call! 360-452-9200

Since you will be in a foreign country, you will need not only your driver’s license but your passport as well. If you have an enhanced driver’s license, that will suffice.  Just as in the United States, you need to carry proof of insurance with you at all times.

Loss of use Insurance - do you know what it is?

Just an in the United States, if you are renting a car your insurance coverage extends. However, most insurance companies do not pay for loss of use. Loss of use is charged when a car is out of service due to damage you caused. Check with your credit card company as some will cover that exposure. If not, you may want to consider buying that coverage from the rental car company.

Enjoy your trip and be safe on the road! Should any questions pop up before or after your trip, please feel free to contact us at the office. If you are in Port Angeles, stop by. We are just a mile away from the Coho!

For more information, please visit my official Allstate Agency Website to get more information on the Allstate products and services I can offer in Port Angeles, Sequim or anywhere Washington State. 


Matt Elwood

Matt Elwood grew up in Port Angeles, graduating from the high school before moving south to attend Pepperdine University in Malibu, CA. While earning his Business Administration he secured an internship at Northwestern Mutual and started his financial career. After graduating from Pepperdine, Matt built a successful Insurance practice in Los Angeles while earning his investment licenses. After a decade of being away from family, Matt decided to move back to Port Angeles and purchase his mother’s Agency. The Helen Elwood Insurance Agency has been an established Allstate agency in Port Angeles for many years. Matt purchased the business in January 2011 and renamed it Elwood Benefits. Matt is focused on growing the business which leaves him little time for anything else. When he does take a break you’ll find him enjoying his family or out on the golf course.