8 Things To Do If You Are In A Car Accident


Summer is more than half over and the dreaded 1st day of school is coming for kids. Mom and Dad may be rejoicing, but with school comes the taxi service from Mom and Dad.

Imagine that you are taking your kids to school and you get in an accident along the way. Many thoughts may be running through your head like:

  • Are my kids ok?
  • Did I pay the insurance bill this month?
  • Do I have collision coverage on my policy?

Keeping these 8 things in mind will help make a bad situation go a little better.

1. Remain calm

By remaining calm, not only will you think more clearly, but you will calm your kids.

2. Check to see if you are OK

Your safety and health is most important. If you or your passengers are injured, call 911 immediately. The same goes for the people in the other car.

3. Move to the side

If it is feasible, move your car to the side of the road for your safety. If you don’t want to end up with two accidents

4. Get information

Exchange names, cell phone numbers, emails and addresses of everyone involved.

5. Insurance

Get the other drivers’ license plate number and insurance information. Make sure you write down the insuring company, policy number, address and phone number.

6. Take Photos

If you have a camera, take photos to document the accident. If you don't have a camera on your cellphone, think about keeping a cheap disposable camera in your glove box.

7. Call the police

Call the police to report an accident.

8. Call your Agent!

Call your insurance agent! They are there to help and assist you with your claim.

These are just a few tips to make an unfortunate experience run as smoothly as possible. Is there anything you would add?

Knowledge is power - Sign up for Matt's monthly insurance newsletter and he will share with you how to better protect your family, save more money and achieve financial security.

Or for more information, please visit my official Allstate Agency Website to get more information on the Allstate products and services I can offer in Port Angeles, Sequim or anywhere Washington State.